Saturday, August 19, 2023

Back on my feet

I ended up having two doctor's appointments this week. The first was with my family doctor on Tuesday to get refills for the SSRI I take. I'd made the appointment week before last, and it turned out to be a lucky thing that I did, because on Monday I woke up with a pulled muscle(s) in my lower back. I'm not sure how it happened, but I could hardly walk, so in addition to giving me a refill on the Zoloft the doctor also gave me two prescriptions for my back. That was good timing!

Along with the back pain, I've been having a massive eczema flare on my ankles and the tops of my feet. The itching, pain, swelling, and redness was making it nearly impossible to sleep at night, and between that and the back pain, it was really difficult to walk. I was miserable. On Wednesday morning I called my allergist's office and made an appointment for Friday afternoon after work.

Have I mentioned how much I love my allergy/asthma doctor, Dr. Stone? Any time I need to see him I can get appointments quickly, there's never any waiting past my appointment time, and he's always very kind. I was almost in tears when I got to his office yesterday. My feet were in horrible shape, so bad I was almost embarrassed to show them to him. I know that's silly, since he's my doctor and, as Gregg pointed out, has surely seen worse. It was pretty bad, though.

Dr. Stone was wonderful, as always. He held my feet gently in his hands to examine them while he questioned me about what's been going on. It turns out the triple antibiotic ointment I'd been slathering on the skin (in an effort to avoid infection when I couldn't help but scratch myself bloody) is an irritant that makes eczema worse.  Oops! And I did indeed have infection setting in, which of course explained the extra pain and itch and swelling. Then after examining my skin closely for a few minutes, he decided that the pattern of eczema on the tops and sides of my feet might be a sign of something called shoe dermatitis, an allergy to materials and chemicals used in making shoes. That would explain why the regular eczema treatments haven't been working very well and why the rash is all concentrated on my feet. In a few weeks, after the current infection and inflammation have been dealt with, I'll be going back to the office for patch testing, which will determine if I have it or not. From the website I just linked to:

 "Shoe dermatitis represents approximately 10% of all persons attending for patch testing. The culprit agent can range from products found in leather, colourants, rubber, or adhesive components, and can occasionally be mimicked by an allergy to agents on socks or stockings."

In the meantime, he prescribed a course of prednisone as well as oral and topical antibiotics to clear up the current crisis. He advised me to get several pairs of all cotton socks and to change them out a couple of times a day, maintaining a dry barrier between my skin and my shoes. Going barefoot or just wearing flip flops at home would be a good idea, too.

If I do have shoe allergies, I'll have to see if any companies make allergen free shoes. And it will be expensive to replace all of my current shoes, but very much worth it if it solves the problem. At the end of my appointment, Dr. Stone said, "We're going to get to the bottom of this, and we're going to fix it." I could have hugged him! 

I'm sorry I've been mostly absent in blogland for the past week, but now you know why. I hope to catch up with reading and commenting this weekend. Hopefully I'll be feeling better soon--between my back and my feet, it's been a rough time! 

38 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you certainly have had a time of it. I am glad that you have a good doctor that you can trust. I hope you will be feeling better soon and that the job is still going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The job is going great! I'm settling in and feeling more and more comfortable with my new responsibilities.

      Delete
  2. Girl, you're a mess! The very least I can do is send you hypoallergenic hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor you!! But Doctor Stone sounds great - kind and competent. I am sure he WILL get to the bottom of it, and even if it may take a while, eventually you‘ll be free of the eczema.
    Not sure whether I have mentioned it before, but I had eczema on my hands and feet when I was a kid (age 5 to about age 10), and for a long time it made me unhappy and ashamed, with no real explanation or truly helpful treatment (not that the doctors weren‘t trying!). Only in my mid-twenties did I learn that it had been neurodermitis back then, and can flare up again under much stress, pressure or anxiety. One reason why I am always so diligent in getting enough rest and my precious walks to keep those contributing factors at bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All forms of eczema seem to be exacerbated by stress. I never had any problems with allergies/asthma/eczema until I was about 20 years old. And my feet and ankles cause me so much shame these days. People ALWAYS comment on it, i.e. "OMG what happened to your foot?!?" "What is that rash it looks terrible!"

      I'm always astounded at the audacity of people commenting on someone else's skin condition. I go to great lengths to cover it up, such as only wearing long skirts that brush the tops of my sandals on hot days so as much of it is hidden as possible.

      Delete
  4. Your Dr. Stone sounds so lovely and helpful, I think just being comforted by him could help the healing. He has good ideas for eliminating your allergic reactions. I hope today finds you on a quick healing path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Stone was recommended to me by literally dozens of people in the last few years. He really is a treasure. Thank you for the kind words, Terra.

      Delete
  5. Summer it's always flip-flops for me and when I do wear socks they're always too big and usually flop down around my ankles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dave! I visited our local Home Depot today and bought paint samples! I thought of you. We're about to paint our main bathroom. It's going to be a first for us, and I'm excited!

      Delete
  6. I hope both your back and feet are better soon! I've never heard of shoe allergies before but it sounds terrible -- I hope it turns out you don't have it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you poor dear! I’m glad you have a caring doctor- sometimes hard to find. Hope you feel relief soon! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds miserable but your doctor will get to the bottom of it and help you. How wonderful that you have him as a resource!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been really miserable, and the fact that between my feet, my back, and the heat I haven't been getting much exercise is making things worse! I'm hoping to soon be able to resume daily walking.

      Delete
  9. I wear flips here in Florida or Sketchers or Toms. Never leather. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Sketchers, but don't currently own any. And it's possible to find leather that isn't treated with offending chemicals, I think. We'll see.

      Delete
  10. After finishing with the prednisone (not good, not good), try to prevent allergies by wearing pure cotton socks. Against itching - use vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A short course of prednisone IS good for certain problems. And the doctor suggested I get pure cotton socks and change them more often than feels necessary to make sure my skin stays dry all day.

      Delete
  11. When it rains, it pours. You poor thing. But great that you're going to get to the bottom of your feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know all about it, my friend. I hope you're continuing to feel better! xx

      Delete
  12. Sounds awful, but your allergist sounds wonderful. I do believe he's going to figure out what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he got a real sense of how much distress this is causing me, and he said if it's not a shoe allergy we'll go from there to find a solution.

      Delete
  13. Your feet and your back are very, very important! Sounds like you've been going through hell in a hot hand basket. Poor thing! I'm so glad you've got good doctors and caring doctors. Please let us know how things are going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Hell in a hot hand basket" sounds just right! It's been a tough couple of weeks for me.

      Delete
  14. Oh, I am so sorry you have been going through all of this trouble and pain. I am glad you have nice doctors and hope the meds bring you relief quickly. Best of luck, Jennifer! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did not know "shoe dermatitis" is a thing. Would it be possible for you to also wear flip-flops to work (temporarily), maybe just around your office? Seems like keeping your feet out of shoes might be the way to go for a while. Good thing you've got decent doctors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could probably wear flip flops while sitting in my office, and may start doing that for awhile. My new principal would be fine with it if I explained to hear what's going on.

      Delete
  16. I always think this kind of things is so much harder to bear in Summer too. Hope things soon improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat doesn't help things much, that's for sure.

      Delete
  17. My son had a terrible time with his feet. We've never heard of shoe dermatitis, but it makes perfect sense. When he began working remotely, he went shoeless and it cleared up right away. It seems to rear up when he has to wear his work boots for a few days, but settles down quickly when he returns to working from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my reading on shoe dermatitis, work boots are often loaded with chemicals and can be a real problem for sensitive people. Maybe something for your son to consider?

      Delete
  18. Lucky woman to have the sort of Dr. Stone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear - this is not nice! And just as you are getting into your new job too. Have you had to have time off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no time off has been needed. I get off work so early in the afternoon that I've been able to make it to my medical appointments after work.

      Delete