Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Back to school week

I love my new work schedule! My official hours are 7am-2:30pm, but on days when I have to make a bank deposit (which is most days) I'm allowed to leave at 2:00. The bank is less than a quarter mile down the road from the school, and my house is a ten-minute drive from there. Today I made it home by 2:20 in the afternoon! How nice is that? I don't mind getting up early, either. It's totally worth it to me to have most of the afternoon free. 

My actual job is still going really well, too. I couldn't ask for a better environment or coworkers, and I seem to be catching on quickly. What a relief!

Yesterday was the first day back for students. When I mentioned that on my last blog post, several people expressed surprise that our summer break is so short. The reason why is because our district is on a "modified year-round" schedule. Basically, it means that summer break is two weeks shorter than it used to be (eight weeks as opposed to ten) but we get those two weeks back as an extra week off in October and again in February. Summer break is still a full two months, and now we have breaks spread out more evenly through the year. It's kind of nice, actually.

Speaking of the first day back:

Marla's little girl, Carsen, started kindergarten yesterday!

I can't believe she's already starting school. You know what this sassy little woman said to her mother the night before starting kindergarten? "I don't want you and Daddy to walk me in tomorrow. I can go in by myself!" Haha! She's going to do great. :) I wish she was attending the elementary school where I work (we have kindergarten, too) but she was already registered elsewhere at the beginning of the summer. Too bad! I'd dearly love to get to see her every day at work for the next five years.

16 comments:

  1. Morning person here, so the earlier the better, and the earlier to leave work is better still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your happiness and contentment are coming through loud & clear! And that's wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Mallorca students have holidays from 15 June, to 15 september. Ever. Is this good? Is this bad? I only can say that is different. The real important is to study and learn. And I want to day that the work of teachers and personnel from schools are one of the most importants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice that the new job is a better fit for you ... nicer people, better hours. That's a winwin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased for you that it is all going so well. Very good news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure that Carsen was only a baby last week!!
    Great that you are enjoying your new job. Long may it continue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little ones grow up so incredibly fast! She‘ll start college before you know it 😊
    I am so happy for you how the new job is going. After the very difficult time you had at the former school, and still put all your effort into your tasks there, you so deserve a great work environment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember when Carsen was born. It's hard to believe she's starting kindergarten.

    The job seems almost dreamlike at this point in time and I am so pleased for you Jennifer. I hope that it stays that way - avoiding potential "infection" from bitchy colleagues. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is indeed a cutie pie! And I am so very, very glad you got that job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you are so happy with your new job. Have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My grand daughter starts kindergarten too. After spending all her life running to the window to see the school bus stop on the corner in front of her house, she now gets to ride that bus. I got a video of her the other day. She's written her first song. "I wish I had a friend or two. Then I wouldn't be so blue..." LOL. She needs school to start.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a fit…for you and them. Great hours. Which school? I live in Florida but as you know, taught in SC…great state. Great kids…

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geez, I remember when Carsen was an infant! Time does fly. Our school schedule is similar to yours, though our summer break is shifted about two weeks later (mid-June to mid-August).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy that you are enjoying your job! My last five years I had to be at school at 7:00. Initially, I thought I wouldn't like that schedule, but I actually grew to really love it! Have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete