Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Stormy day at home

 Really strong storms with high winds, hail, and the chance of tornadoes will be rolling through the area starting at about lunchtime today. For this reason, the school district (along with most districts in eastern South Carolina) have called for an "e-learning" day. Everyone stays home and the students log onto Google Classroom with their school-issued laptops to do their work and get credit for attendance. With winds expected to gust over 50 mph this afternoon, it wouldn't be safe for school buses on the road. 



Working from home, for me, only involves a couple of hours of answering the school phones (with the Zoom app on my cell phone) and checking my email. I'm covering the phones for the first three hours of the day, and the receptionist will take over at 11:00 to finish out the afternoon. So far, I've only had one call this morning. Since the days of Covid everyone has gotten used to e-learning days and knows what to do.

It's so nice to be able to stay home when bad weather threatens. I'm very lucky. As long as I keep my phone nearby this morning, I can stay in pajamas, drink coffee, write on my blog, and hang out with the dogs and Marco. 

Hopefully we won't get any tornadoes! That's my only weather-related worry today.

25 comments:

  1. Lucky you to get to stay home. Up here we're just supposed to get torrential downpours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather prediction sounds quite severe. Stormy weather is going to travel to the East Coast as well. We have a foot of snow on the ground and with high wind and heavy rain predicted, flooding is expected. While you have tornado warnings we can experience trees up-ending, taking out power lines and having no power for the duration of high wind/rain. The joys of Winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kinds of storms we're getting this year are very unusual for wintertime.

      Delete
  3. They closed our schools here too. And we did have some major winds and some tornadoes. We were safe here in Lloyd. And the kids are fine in Tallahassee, mostly without power. I am so grateful. They had a lot of damage to the west of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't all that bad here. We never came close to losing power at my house. I'm grateful!

      Delete
  4. All the kids have school-issued laptops? Wow! The cost of that would eye-watering and of course laptops don't last forever and may require maintenance. I hope that no tornadoes dance around your neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite cold here yesterday, and I noticed a few cars with snow on their roofs. I hope your day wasn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't, just a much-appreciated day off from work.

      Delete
  6. Hopefully, no tornadoes come your way, and you can enjoy your WFH day. Here, some schools have issued laptops and/or tablets to all their students, too, but it is nothing official that extends to all schools in Germany. They still struggle with the consequences of the shutdowns during the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I am not sure whether you saw my reply to your comment on my latest post; your Christmas card arrived yesterday :-)
      Thank you very much - it is so pretty, with the fox and other woodland animals, and even a fox stamp!!

      Delete
  7. I love being forced to stay indoors through snow, etc, but I would not be so happy waiting for the roof to blow off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a tall pine tree in our neighbor's yard with a scary looking lean towards our house. We always worry about it.

      Delete
  8. I hope you had no tornados. We were under a tornado watch as well, but nothing materialized. We had tremendous downpours and winds though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some rain and wind, but nothing major.

      Delete
  9. Glad you got to work from home. Hope you stay safe, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weather here in he overnight and overnight was pretty wild, too. Glad you were protected from the mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you're either back in Spain or on the way back by now.

      Delete
  11. I hope everything passes more or less uneventfully!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sure hope you have no tornados! We've had heavy snow this week and our schools are also on e-learning. Next week the temps will be below 0 F so the kids may continue to stay home due to extreme cold. I hope your weather improves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew! That IS extreme cold. We'd have to cancel school if it got even close to that cold.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a catch up/work day at home with all the gud dugs and Marco... not so sure about him !

    ReplyDelete