Saturday, January 20, 2024

Narcissists and boundaries

I've avoided writing about it here, but there's been some turmoil brewing in my personal life over the last few weeks. Since the day my dad died, I've had the trouble with my mother that I've known for years was coming. She's treated me very badly, worse than I'd imagined she would. 

In a nutshell, she's furious that I just inherited the last of the money from dad's family's estate. It's not a fortune, but it's a nice fat check, and for a person of my modest means it's a lot. My grandparents left it in their will to pay out to me upon my dad's death. My mother is so angry (that it wasn't left to her instead) and jealous that she's been really unkind to me. And that's putting it mildly. She hasn't shown me one ounce of sympathy over losing my dad; in fact, she started in about the money the very afternoon he died. She explicitly said, repeatedly, that she expected me to hand the money over to her. It's been really awful.

I've been so stressed out that I've been on the verge of panic attacks a couple of times. I haven't been sleeping well, and maybe worst of all the stress has caused my eczema to flare and break out all over my body, in places it's never been before. 

Yesterday was a turning point, though.

I've been reading a lot about narcissists and their toxic behaviors, and my mother checks almost all of the boxes. I honestly believe she has a personality disorder. So yesterday I decided it was time to set a firm boundary with her. I sent her a private message letting her know kindly but firmly and in no uncertain terms that I'm keeping my inheritance. (If she were in dire financial straits, that would be different, but she's not. She'll be able to live comfortably, if modestly, without any help from me). 

Putting it out there, defying her, and deciding to let the chips fall where they may was scary at first. I grew up with her rages and emotional abuse. But when I hit "send" on the message (that I'd spent two days crafting) it was like a balloon popping. All of a sudden, I felt the burden of it all lift from my shoulders, and I'm much more at peace now. I can't control her reaction or her behavior, and I'm okay with that. 

Unless and until she can treat me with kindness and respect, we'll just be estranged. I've probably just lost my mom as well as my dad, but any parent who treats their daughter they way she's treated me doesn't deserve to be in their daughter's life.

Does it make me sad? Sure. It really hurts. But I'm proud of standing up for myself. And that money that she's so greedy for? It's just a hair more than the amount I have left owing on my mortgage. By next month Gregg and I will own our home free and clear! How wonderful is that? We're absolutely thrilled about it and my grandparents would be so pleased. 

I wish my mother could be pleased for me, too, but she's just not capable of it. And I can live with that.

One website I've found valuable in learning about setting boundaries is the wonderful advice column called Captain Awkward. Here's a passage from one of her columns that I found particularly insightful when dealing with the fallout of setting boundaries with toxic family:


Let me leave you with one reminder: It’s not your job to fix every relationship or clean up every mess in your family, even if you could. (You can’t). Even when we’re armed with all the best advice, planning, strategies, counseling, support from safe friends and loved ones, safety plans, boundaries, kindness, patience, good intentions, etc. fraught family relationships can stay a total mess. Even when the worst of it stops (usually ’cause we grew up and got out), some people will never be what we need. Some people will never make us feel all the way good or relaxed. Some places will always feel haunted, and some situations will always have us double-checking under the bed or behind the shower curtain or between the lines for danger. The absence of danger is no less eerie! No monsters under the bed this time, but are the dust bunnies filled with menace? No monsters in the closet, just these wire hangers. The yellow wallpaper in the hall got paneled over long ago, observe the faded spots where the portraits of what looked like a happy family from outside used to hang. Don’t forget to jiggle the toilet handle after flushing and step over the broken stair. Oh yes, that sound you hear is definitely ghosts, The Ghost of The Childhood That Should Have Been likes to come out this time of night and wail for a while, she’s pretty friendly if you want to say hi! But come away, come away, you don’t need to repair or renovate this wreck, it’s time to hop in the rental car or catch your train back to where your small quiet room awaits. Come in, close the door behind you, nobody is going to knock on it. Hang up your coat, take your shoes off, fix yourself a beverage, sit in your comfiest chair, and open your presents:

  • 1 dog-eared copy of A Wrinkle In Time with “I give you your faults” highlighted.
  • 1 yellow post-it note with “Do less work to manage relationships with people who are unkind to you 2019” scrawled in teal glitter pen
  • “Bless This Mess!” sign, $1, slightly cracked, purchased in the foul rag and bone shop of the heart

<3,

Not Just A Captain, She’s Also A Member

27 comments:

  1. If only I had had advice like this when I spent all the years struggling with my mother, things would have been so much better. My life, my very life would have been better, and thus- my children's lives too. But I just kept on trying to please her which only allowed her opportunities to hurt me more and when I finally realized that there was no way in hell I could ever please her, she was days away from her death.
    So I look at what you have done as a victory for many of us. You did what so many of us should have done and in doing that, in letting her know in no uncertain terms that she will not be allowed to hurt you anymore, you have freed yourself from a lifetime of pain.
    I am SO proud of you. And so happy that this inheritance will offer you and your husband a sort of security you might not have ever known without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done exactly the right thing, Jennifer. Your father's intention was to leave that family money to you and you are simply honouring his decision. Don't let your mom bully you. Wills, estates and inheritances bring out the absolute worst in people. Just hold up the will and say "it's what Dad wanted me to have."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Debra, it was my grandmother (dad's mother) who left me the money. My parents were always so irresponsible with money that she left my dad his inheritance in a trust. He got a check every year for a set amount and that was to go on until he'd gotten it all slowly over a period of 12 years. The trust had me as the next beneficiary if dad died before he'd collected it all. My mom was bypassed.

      Delete
  3. Your mom's behavior is rather strange, as the money was left for you explicitly in your grandparents' will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a huge step. And I'm sure paying off the mortgage on your wonderful home is exactly the sort of thing you grandparents would be thrilled about. I haven't even met you and it makes me very happy for you. Thanks for sharing.
    P.S. I'm a big fan of Captain Awkward also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps your mortgage burning ceremony can have a dual purpose of celebration and a time of caring for yourself, your wellbeing, over someone who does not have your best interest at heart.

    I am rooting for you to have an awareness that there are people who will disappoint and try to manipulate us but we get to say "NO".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos for having the mind to do what was needed. You will hear from your mom. Old age humbles us all. When people are not good money managers, they feel entitled. Your grandparents knew that.
    I love the name of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm proud of you for standing up for yourself and what's right. Your grandparents intended for you to have the money, not your mother so you are fulfilling their last wishes. Being estranged from your mother would be hard, but she isn't acting like a mother right now, she's behaving like a selfish I-won't-say-the-word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Money does that to people. A friend of mine is 1 of 12 children, and when his father dad, his simple will said he wanted his children to share and share alike, and some of his brother's and sisters broke into the house to take what they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you. She knows what you grandparents intended. What kind of mother would take from her child? Congratulations on the mortgage payoff. If I can offer any advice, don't expect reconciliation with your mom. My mother was still mad as hell at me on her deathbed. I know she couldn't help it. I have made my peace with it, but it was tough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your grandmother wanted you to have this money and she stipulated this in a legal document. There is no question here. Your mother is totally out-of-line and you are absolutely right to let her know. Owning your home outright is wonderful and such a good use of funds. I am very happy for you and Gregg.

    ReplyDelete
  11. People think long and hard before making their wills, and it might be timely to remind your mother of that. Perhaps you could even remind her that her present behaviour is proof that your grandparents were right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you did exactly the right thing by being clear to your mom, and then you felt the weight lifted, Well done. The will and trust were perfectly clear so you are fulfilling your grandmother's wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you, but I know how difficult it was not to give into her demands, how it must have mentally and physically hurt. I grew up with a controlling disapproving mother who was so intimidating that I could never stand up to her. I actually, in my mid 20's, took a class on "How to say no" and when the day came that I mustered up the courage to put into practice what I'd learned, because she wanted me to do that which wasn't in my best interest, I saw a painful look in her eyes when she realized she could no longer control me. Seeing that look physically hurt but, like you, what followed was that sense of relief, freedom, that I had crossed a hurtle and could do what was best for me in future. Whatever she tries next, Jennifer, don't turn back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have every reason to be proud of yourself, Jennifer. You and Gregg have built a good life together, husband and wife as well as best friends, overcoming all difficulties that have come your way. Your beautiful home will soon be entirely yours - and as you say, your mother should be pleased for you. Any "normal" (I am using this term for lack of a better one) parent is happy when things go well for their children, so I guess you are right in thinking that your mother has a personality disorder.
    And there is nothing you can do about it, as you have rightly understood. You are not the one who can "fix" your mother or control her reaction - heck, for much of the time we can barely control our own reaction to things, can we!
    I don't doubt that you'd be the first person to help if your mother really needed the money. But she doesn't, and by keeping your inheritance, you are not only doing yourself some good, you are also respecting your grandparents' and your father's wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did the right thing Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remembered the problems you had in the past with your mother and was surprised things appeared to be going so well. Of course they weren't.You did absolutely the right thing. This isn't the first time you've stood up for yourself and I admire you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mother should have the good grace to simply accept what your grandparents instructed. To veer away from that instruction would be an insult to their memory. Before my brother Simon died, he instructed that all of his money should be divided between his three nephews and his two nieces with none for me or my brother in France. I would have appreciated some of that money but I felt duty bound to split the legacy as instructed even though this was never written down or legally binding.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your grandparents wanted you to have it and it's yours.
    Your mother sounds like she cannot handle the grief of your father passing and so anger and resentment take the place because they're easier to manage.
    Hopefully she'll see what's she's doing to her remaining family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've done the right thing. Your grandparents left that money to you for a reason, and it's yours, not hers. Congrats on being able to pay off the house! As you said, that would make your grandparents very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with everyone, that you did the right thing. The will was stated as such and your mother is out of line. It's hard to break off that relationship but if it's abusive, you've done the best thing for you. Enjoy having no mortgage .!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry that your mother is making this period of grief even harder for all of you. I'm glad you are standing up for yourself and doing what your grandparents wanted. Hope you get relief from your eczema, Jennifer, and your stress.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on owning your own house, your paternal grandparents must have wanted this for you and Gregg. My maternal Granny left most of her money to me, Mum, her daughter had died and we also used it to buy our house outright. Its a big relief. Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. No fun having a narcissist in your life - especially a family member.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm sorry about these problems with your mom. I'm sure it is difficult for her losing your Dad but that is no reason for her to act like this. The next time she brings it up I would simply say that subject is closed and you will not discuss it with her. If she pushes it I would walk away. You have simply followed your Grandmother's wishes.

    I am so happy for you to be able to pay off your home! What a blessing! Congratultions!


    ReplyDelete
  25. Jennifer, my heart sank when I started to read this, and then I was thrilled! You have taken the steps to preserve your own mental health! Setting a firm boundary with our "first God" is terrifying and life-changing. I've had to do the same years ago with my parents, and then later a sister, and let me say that I felt like I was going to vomit when I did. I shook, cried, felt so guilty - and my counselor helped me develop the skills to love myself enough to set myself free. I am truly happy for you and Greg that you can have financial freedom, too!

    ReplyDelete