Tuesday, October 8, 2024

More home improvement

I'm on fall break this week. It's nice to be off work, especially now that it's getting cool outside. Lots of pleasant dog walks are happening at the moment. 

Speaking of lots of things happening.....this is my den right now:


Demolished wall!!!

The ceiling in there had developed a crack that started to leak during the last storm that rolled through. It was a bad leak, and the crack got bigger and bigger. Then, it quickly became obvious that water was running down behind the wall, too, because the boards by the window started to warp. Not good.

 Here's a picture I took this morning before work commenced:



There's a place where the roof of this room joins the main house (the room was an addition to the original floor plan) and some sort of flaw there was letting the water in. That will be fixed first, then the wall with the warped boards will be repaired. And we decided instead of just patching up the damaged part of the ceiling, we're going to go ahead and redo the whole thing.

Something like this is what we're going for:

                        
Coffered ceilings

We're getting those same recessed lights in the "coffered" ceiling, and the old, clunky ceiling fan will be replaced with a smaller, simpler one. We've hired the same guy who remodeled our porch last summer to do the work. He seems to do solid work, and his prices aren't unreasonable. 

As soon as he's finished, we plan to paint the room a fresh new color. I'm hoping we can do that next weekend and have everything done when I go back to work on Monday. That may or may not be possible, though.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful upgrade that will be! Your timing is perfect--why just fix it when you have the opportunity to remodel it. Leaks are the WORST, so destructive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That change will be great! I hope the work goes smoothly. How did you find the guy to do the work? I need work done on my house, probably by a contractor. I've made appointments with people who never show up. One guy came up with a plan for the house and gave me a quote for part of the work. I wanted to move forward with him. Of course, he disappeared. At least he never asked for any money upfront. I worry about people taking advantage of me because I'm a woman alone and don't know anything about the repairs that need to be made. Show us photos, please, as the word is done. Happy Fall Break!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete