Saturday, September 5, 2026

MVP Patient

Next week Gregg has an appointment coming up that's kind of a big deal. He's getting almost full mouth dental implants, and Thursday will be the worst part of the process: lots of extractions and then temporary "immediate" dentures to wear while his mouth heals. The final placement of the implants won't happen until January, so until then he's anticipating a very rough time. 

We picked the highest rated local practice to do the work. My regular dentist is there, and I've always been really satisfied with them. In addition to everyday dentistry, they do oral surgery and all kinds of dental reconstructive work, and their reputation is excellent.

They're also one of the pricier local options. I tend to think you get what you pay for, and it's worth it to me to be assured that something as major as dental implants will be done right. We have dental insurance, but it only covers about 20% of the total cost. To trim some more off the price, we've taken advantage of the 7% discount they offer if you prepay everything up front with cash or a check. I wrote two large checks last week that cover almost everything.

So. Much. Money. Thousands of dollars. 

We've been planning and saving for this and expecting it, so it's not a shock, but wow. Writing checks that big makes me wince. They've assured Gregg he's going to love the final results, and I sincerely hope that's true. So, with all that being said, this morning an unexpected package landed on our doorstep, addressed to Gregg. We were confused because neither of us had ordered anything. What could it be?

Check this out. Have you ever?


The dental practice sent Gregg a gift basket with candy, cookies, and 
peanuts "with love and gratitude"

Friends, I howled. That just struck me as the funniest thing ever. "Thank you for spending a ton of money with us, and oh yeah, here's some candy and peanuts....eat 'em while you still can!" Gregg and I both got a good laugh out of that. 

(It's still a nice gesture, though).

No comments: