So, the issues with Blogger continue. No updated reading lists, no updated sidebar. I wonder if anyone is trying to solve the problem or if this platform is slowly going kaput. I hope not. I'd be willing to pay a small amount to keep it around and to have some recourse when issues like this arise. Oh, well. I hope we can all keep in touch if things continue to go wrong. There's always Wordpress and Substack, I suppose, but I'd sure hate to lose all these years' worth of blogposts and discussions. This has been my life diary for a very long time. I wish I knew of some way to save and back up everything up till now.
Gregg is doing okay. The sedatives they gave him to take prior to the procedure worked so well that he actually fell asleep a couple of times while they did the extractions. Even better, he doesn't remember any of it. Everything took almost three hours, and I was relieved when the nurse texted me that everything had gone well and I could come pick him up. When I got there and first saw him, he was white a sheet, and still high on the sedatives. He just stared at me blankly for a moment...then his lips parted and a stream of blood ran down his chin. Whew! What a sight! The nurse scrambled to wipe his chin and assure me everything was okay.
He spent the rest of that first afternoon in bed with gauze clamped between his immediate dentures to catch the oozing blood. (This is normal and expected). He was able to take pain medicine (and an antibiotic) with small sips of water throughout the day and did okay. Yesterday morning, though, he woke up nauseous, and, just as I feared, started to throw up and dry heave. The same thing used to happen when he had chemotherapy and got dehydrated or was taking meds on an empty stomach. Luckily the dentist had asked me to bring him back to the office first thing, so he was able to address it right away. He said everything looked good, and for Gregg to get something on his stomach before taking any more pills to help with the nausea. His suggestion was yogurt, and it turned out to be a good one. Gregg ate some in tiny bites over the next hour and also sipped some apple juice, and that did the trick.
Since then he's had some pain and swelling, but they're both under control. We keep a written log of when he takes his pain medication and antibiotics. He's been able to eat yogurt, applesauce, and mashed potatoes so his stomach has stayed settled. This morning he's restless and a bit bored, but it's still too early for him to do much but rest and heal. I wish I could think of a good distraction, but no movies or books sound good to him and that's the extent of my ideas. He's also feeling really down about this whole situation. It's traumatic to have most of your teeth removed, for a whole lot of reasons, the least of which is the physical pain. I'm doing my best to be supportive and positive, and I keep reminding him that he's going to get through this and the results are going to be great. This is just a rough (but necessary) part of the process. But it's still hard for him.
One thing that really reassures me in this whole ordeal is how great the dentist, Dr. Thomas, is turning out to be. He's a young Indian guy with the kindest and gentlest demeanor. He's soft spoken and patient and shows so much empathy and care. Late yesterday afternoon he got my phone number from the nurse and texted me to ask how Gregg was doing. That was a real surprise, and I was so grateful.

24 comments:
Gregg is really going through a traumatic time. I'm glad he has you as his nurse and such an empathetic doctor. Even still, I know he's really going through it.
That sounds incredibly painful! A friend's husband had that done and went through a very tough period. Now he loves his new teeth, so considers it worth it! Gregg will too, eventually. It's getting through this part of it that's hard. Take care!
First of all, the Blogspot situation is a real downer. I have no desire to move to another platform at this stage of the game, I'm going to just continue writing because I enjoy it and hope friends will visit on their own. The Gregg story... I have been wo during about him since you first told us, Jennifer. This was a well written update, but sounds like a hugely stressful ordeal. At least he isn't alone. My heart just goes out to him, thanks for the update. Praying for a speedy recovery.
Poor Gregg. Sounds like an awful ordeal but I'm glad he has your tender loving care to help him through it. How glad you will both be when it is all finished!
Dr Thomas? That's not an Indian name, it's a Welsh name.. Sure he's not Welsh? Anyway it was good of him to go the extra mile with his care giving. I hope that by this time next week Gregg is out of the woods. It must be quite an ordeal.
He really is, Mary. This is so hard for him.
Thank you for the encouragement, Margaret.
It's been about as good as it can be, Doug. The dental office is about a half mile from our house; the dentist and his assistant, Danielle, are wonderful, and things seem to be going really well. He's been very lucky.
We sure will! Thank you Ellen.
Definitely Indian. His bio on the practice website says he was born in India and moved to the US when he was six years old. Given that his full name is Jonathan Thomas, I'm guessing he was adopted.
I hope your husband is feeling better. This is quite an ordeal. And I am glad you have a caring doctor.
The issues with blogger are so FRUSTRATING! I have given feedback multiple times asking when the updating issue will be fixed. Grrrrrr
Hopefully Gregg is through the worst of it now. He is lucky to have you there seeing him through it. Your dentist sounds like a gift from the heavens. I love how you included the text exchange. That's not very common to have a doctor reach out like that. Take care and I hope that Gregg feels better and better with each passing day.
I sent some feedback this morning too. I don't have faith it will do much good, but maybe if enough of us complain they'll do something.
Thanks Michael. Gregg got nauseous this morning and threw up again. All the pain meds, I imagine. We're hanging in there but it's an ordeal.
Dr. Thomas sounds brilliant, and between you and him, Gregg is in the best possible situation for what he's going through. It can't be easy for you, of course, since you can only do so much - you can't really "take away" the trauma, pain and anxiety from your husband.
I have no inclination to move my blog somewhere else and will stick to this platform for as long as possible. Wordpress would be my most likely alternative. Graham has done backups of his blog, he has written about it several times, and although at the moment he's not actively blogging, I am sure you can find his posts about this when you search his blog.
you are lucky to have such a doctor.
The first days are miserable. I can't take narcotics. They make me physically sick. Every time. I think/hope that by midweek, Gregg is over the worst of it.
I'm sorry to hear this is a struggle for Greg, but I'm not surprised. I get moody if I get ONE tooth worked on, so I can't imagine how he must feel!
I have faith that Blogger will persevere. I too have often said that I'd pay for the platform if it makes maintenance more reliable. Take note, Google!
I think there's always the option of downloading your content and re-posting it at Wordpress if need be -- that's my plan of last resort.
According to Google AI (which is always correct and will never hurt us, LOL): "Thomas is a common name specifically among the Saint Thomas Christian community in the southern state of Kerala. It is used by Syrian Christians in Kerala, who trace their Christian heritage back to St. Thomas the Apostle."
Poor Gregg. What a relief the nausea was so temporary. I’ll send you a photo of SG’s aquascape for him to peruse. I took it last night and meant to send it to you right away! Wishing Gregg much better days.
Wow, my thoughts are with Gregg -- I hope he heals quickly and starts to feel better soon. Other good liquid diet things are meat broth, high protein drinks like Boost or Ensure, and high protein Greek yogurt or Icelandic Skyr. Protein helps the body heal.
I'm back to daily blogging again now that I'm home from my recent travels.
I remember when my Grandmother finally gave in and got 'store boughten.' It's a huge psychological deal, real archetype stuff. I'm so glad that Doug is on the other side of this now! He's clearly got an excellent nurse.
What a rough first few days for Gregg, that really sounds tough, both physically and emotionally. It's great that the nausea got under control and that you have such an attentive dentist, that kind of personal care is so valuable during a hard time like this. Wishing you both strength, I hope the recovery goes smoothly from here!
Please send Gregg my best wishes. I may be someone he doesn't know, and am living in a different continent, but suffering is suffering, and I commiserate. Cro
Post a Comment