Thursday, December 20, 2018

Prepping for the holiday

It's hard to believe that Christmas is only 5 days away. The last couple of months simply flew by, what with buying the house and moving. We're still settling in and trying to find a few pieces of furniture that we're lacking (a small sofa for the step down den, barstools for the counter looking into the kitchen, a desk for the office) but it's difficult to shop for the house with the holiday looming. We don't go overboard with buying gifts, and we don't have a big family, so there's that. Friends generally get something small, like cookies or candles, and shopping for them isn't overly stressful. So far the only gifts I've bought are two books for baby Carsen. She's so little that there's no point in going too crazy with presents, but we will always buy books for the children in our life. Speaking of Carsen, just look at this sweet little face:

Image may contain: 1 person

She's 7 months old now and growing into a happy, smiling girl! Isn't she cute?

Yesterday was our last day of school and now we're on holiday until January 7th. I have almost three weeks to make Christmas happen, then finish up with the unpacking, cleaning, and shopping for the new house. I feel so fortunate. This much time off is pure luxury after so many years of working in retail. I still haven't quit thanking my lucky stars for my job.

Our plan for Christmas this year is to have my parents over on Christmas Eve for food and presents, and then to spend a quiet Christmas Day together enjoying the new house. This weekend I'll be doing a little bit of baking and cooking to get ready, as well as lots of cleaning. Several friends of ours will be dropping by throughout the next couple of weeks, and Gregg's sister and niece are coming to visit the first week of the new year. There's also a possibility that his brother and sister-in-law will stop by on their way north from Florida to see us and especially the new house at some point next week. I want everything to look as good as possible!

Well, off to get started...there's so much to do! But even so, I'm going to take some time to catch up with all my friends' blogs and do some writing myself. I've missed spending time here with you all!

17 comments:

  1. Carsen looks so sweet and Christmassy. Wishing you a very happy Christmas in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I wish the very same for you and Paul, Sue! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I feel so happy for you and Gregg. New home, Christmas, wonderful friends, two very Gud Dugs and naughty Marco!

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some pretty awesome blog friends, too!

      Delete
  3. That baby, that baby! What a beauty. Best wishes to you and Greg on this first Christmas in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she something? I could eat her up! Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete
  4. Why is gorgeous Carsen on the table? I have heard that there are cannibals in the backwoods of South Carolina. It's great that your lovely new home is ready for Santa's arrival. MERRY XMAS x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carsen's Laotian grandparents put her on the table, so you'll have to ask them! Haha!

      Delete
  5. You actually are a Christmas elf, making it happen. What a lovely little elfling you have to help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carsen is adorable! I love her stylish little head scarf. This is definitely a crazy time of year -- bon courage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carsen is darling, and the outfit is too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will be making wonderful memories this first year in your new home. Enjoy them all. Meet Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2018 has been very good to you (apart from that neighbour). I'm sure that you and Gregg will have a very relaxed Christmas this time round; you deserve it. Cro x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It will be an unforgettable Christmas, that's for sure - the first one in YOUR house, the first one for sweet little Carsen. Having all that time off is indeed luxury! Today is my last day at work for 2018. I will be starting again in the 2nd week of January.
    Just like in previous years since I've known OK, there will be a lot of travelling back and forth between our two places, and I will hardly spend more than one night in the same place. But it is all worth it, and just part of being in a long-distance relationship.
    My biggest Christmas wish is coming true already: My Dad is still here with us, and still very much my Dad, and we'll celebrate Christmas as a complete family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy first Christmas in your new home! That baby is irresistible!

    ReplyDelete