Sunday, December 9, 2018

Settling in

The settling in at the new house is well underway. Most of the clutter and boxes piled in the hallway has been dealt with, and we've gotten started on the garage, although just barely. We've brought in approximately 3/4 of the boxes of books we own and unpacked them. We decided to have the bookshelves in the hallway, across from the bedroom we're using as an office. 

Speaking of which! I finally got an ethernet cable to connect our desktop computer to the modem this past Friday! Prior to that we could only use the Wifi for Internet access, which means our phones. (We don't own a laptop computer although I hope to buy one someday soon, after we've gotten over the purchase of this house bleeding us dry). Blogging isn't easy from a tiny hand held device, and although I've been reading I haven't done much commenting or blogging of my own lately. Now that our computer is operational again I look forward to remedying that!

My mom and dad finally came to see the house yesterday. It's far from perfect, we still have plenty of unpacking and arranging to do (not to mention things we still need to buy like a small loveseat and two bar stools), but they loved it and said so many nice things! They brought gifts of a basket of fruit and nuts, two amaryllis plants sprouts for force blooming, and a pink Christmas cactus plant. Oh, and a Christmas tree scented candle. It was so sweet of them! Marla is coming over this afternoon (and hopefully bringing the baby) to see the house for the first time, and at some point between now and Christmas I hope most of my other friends can drop by, too. A house just doesn't feel like a home until it's had friends and family inside of it. They'll just have to excuse the fact that we still have plenty to do to settle in, and besides that....no house is ever perfect anyway. 

Several of you asked to see pictures, so here are a few. After this I'll try to blog about something besides the new house, which must be getting awfully boring to at least a few visitors. As you'll see, we've done a bit of decorating for the holidays already. How are your preparations for the next few weeks going?










32 comments:

  1. I think your home looks wonderful !
    Please keep blogging about what is going on with your home, I love reading about it !
    Are Ginger and George finding a nice place to to nest in the garage ?

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're now inside/outside dogs. They live on the screened porch when we're at work, and inside the house at night. So far it's been working out fine, and the garage is solely for OUR use, now. :)

      Delete
  2. 3 words - FAB U LOUS! I'd kill to have your kitchen! and I see marco's roost by the fireplace and wine on the counter. LOVE the open floorplan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're so nice!

      Marco is living in his smaller cage at the moment (we haven't cleared the spot in the office/spare bedroom for his bigger cage yet) but soon he will have more than twice that amount of space. We also have one of his perches set up in the den (for use when the dogs are outside).

      Delete
  3. You certainly have not posted too many house pictures for me! I love looking at them. Everything is looking so cozy and warm and lovely. Do you still wake up every day and think, "Really? I love here?"
    I hope so.
    As for my preparations for the next few weeks- well, I just ordered some reef-safe sunscreen so yeah, I'm about ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be crazy with excitement over that trip if I were you!! You're going to have a great holiday!

      Delete
  4. Don't stop because of me, either. How sweet to have your parents through so soon, and I wish you as many guests as you can tolerate.Please have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous, love the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes the front room cozy on cold days!

      Delete
  6. Everything looks so nice and the beautiful Christmas tree makes it say “ home at last”. Well done, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Christmas tree has made this place feel like home more quickly. Thank you. ❤

      Delete
  7. Looking pretty good to me. Maybe a housewarming Christmas party would be a good idea. Lots of hot punch and carol singing. The house would really seem like a home after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a housewarming would be great, but I'll have to do it in small doses with small groups of people. One big party would be too overwhelming right now with the recent move and Christmas in a couple of weeks!

      Delete
  8. Not boring at all, Jennifer!! Please keep showing us 'round as you work along, as the lot of us won't be able to pop in personally to have a look :-)
    I love everything I've seen so far. And indeed, a house is never "finished", the nesting keeps going on for as long as we like, there will always be changes over the years, some subtle ones, some more dramatic ones.
    I am so happy to hear your parents came visiting, and it sounds like it was a good visit; from past posts, I remember your relationship with them was/is not always easy-going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your constant support, my dear friend!

      Delete
  9. What a great tree...I was looking to see if Marco was roosting in it! He didn't seem to be in his cage!
    Is that a lone fish in the small tank top left? Has he been naughty?
    Along with everyone else I am looking forward to seeing more of your new home and garden ( yard ?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a lone fish....good eye! It's a Red Dragon Betta.

      Delete
  10. Wow. Wow. WOW! The house is classy, charming, inviting... and that tree. You did well! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! It's beautiful! I love the floors. And your tree is beautiful too! Please DON'T stop blogging about the new house. A new house is NEVER boring! I can't wait to hear how Marco and George and Ginger adapt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to blog about the animals. Ginger hasn't adjusted very well yet.

      Delete
  12. Love the pictures - everything looks great. Really nice tree, and I especially like the star on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about the star, finding it packed away was a pleasant surprise!

      Delete
  13. I hope the star on top of the Christmas tree does not scorch the ceiling!
    How very pleasant and reassuring to receive your parents' blessing regarding the new house. You have truly achieved something special and they are even prouder of you than they were before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is beyond thrilled and wants to help me build a garden and paint the porch next summer! That makes me happy.

      Delete
  14. Hello, Jennifer. I cannot find an email address for you. Can you drop me a line so I can have it: jnoragon@gmail.com.
    Thanks. Joannexxoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it when you post pics of the new house. Please don’t stop as we all have waited patiently through the whole process, all the ups and the downs that went with it. We are so happy for you two, so keep those photos coming please.

    ReplyDelete