Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Quarantine-while

 Stephen Colbert has had a segment on The Late Show called "Quarantine-while" that over the last several months has taken the place of "Meanwhile".....a short humorous roundup of news that may have escaped notice with so many big stories to report on. Here's a recent one: 




Meanwhile....I'm quarantining in my house for the next day or two pending results of the Covid test I had this morning. 

As an allergy sufferer I'm prone to a ticklish cough in my throat that usually doesn't concern me. Along with the occasional runny nose, sneezing, and puffy eyes first thing in the morning, it's just part of my baseline. I've had that kind of cough for a couple of days now, but have felt fine. Then this morning I woke up with actual congestion in my chest and some very slight wheezing when I breathe deeply. That's not a normal part of allergies. 

Although I feel okay otherwise, I called the school nurse and asked her opinion. Our school (as well as the district as a whole) has rising positive case numbers as well as a huge wave of students and staff who have been exposed to someone with the virus and must stay at home until they're tested. Our state, like much of the country, is suddenly experiencing record-setting case spikes and our hospitals are becoming overwhelmed. Out of an abundance of caution, the nurse and I decided that it would be best if I got a test and quarantined at home for a day or two in the meantime. The district has a testing agreement with MUSC here in Florence (one of our two major hospitals) and I was able to get a drive-up Covid swab for free.

The test was quick and easy, and except for the swab making my nose burn for the 10 seconds they had to leave it stuck up there it wasn't even very uncomfortable. What is uncomfortable is waiting for the results. I really don't think I have it, as I've been very careful about social distancing, handwashing, and mask wearing plus I don't feel very bad at all. No fever, no loss of taste or smell, no other indication of anything weird except possibly some extra tiredness and feeling chilled (despite warm clothes and normally running more hot than cold) very recently. 

I really hope this isn't Covid! More even than for myself I worry about giving it to my husband. We both have pre-existing conditions (mild asthma for me, a cancer history for him) so neither of us can really afford to catch it. I'll be isolating myself in the house as much as possible until the results come in, which should be in 24 to 48 hours. 

Meanwhile (quarantine-while!) I'm going to try to relax and enjoy the time at home since I feel okay. I'm re-starting a book I liked but never finished some years ago called Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and cooking a crockpot full of pinto beans for our supper tonight. The weather has turned cold and I've been enjoying sitting by the fire in the evenings, with the Christmas tree lit. Hopefully this dreaded virus hasn't infiltrated our home--talk about spoiling the holidays! Wish us luck.

35 comments:

  1. I will be thinking of you Jen and hoping for the best. Everything I can cross, is crossed.

    My poor mothers rehab has also had a huge explosion in cases...the first since the pandemic. it went from one case on a Friday to 29 by Monday. Nurses and patients alike. I just thank goodness she was not there when the outbreak happened. Her boss has also told her to take all her time off, so she won't go back till work till after the New Year. My mother is 81 and yes...still works! She loves it and says it keep her vital and healthy. She still got tested and it came back negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mother sounds wonderful, and I hope she gets to take a vaccine soon and can go back to her normal active life! I hope you've inherited her good genes!

      Delete
  2. Of course I wish you luck, Jennifer! Doesn't it seem like this nightmare will never end? I really, really, really, REALLY hope you don't have it.
    Take care. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I really and truly don't think I have it. This morning I felt better than yesterday and the cough seems almost gone. I hope that I've just been extra cautious for nothing!

      Delete
  3. I will be keeping you in my thoughts. I truly hope that you don't have it. It would be a Godsend if they could get home testing kits that had results in a few minutes, so people didn't have to worry themselves to death about it for days. I don't know what we would do if either my husband or I got it. We would have a hard time isolating from each other in an 846 square foot house with only one bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wishing you and your husband the best of luck in avoiding this terrible virus! Stay safe!

      Delete
  4. Hope it comes back negative? Are you running a fever? That and shortness of breath tend to be the most pronounced symptoms of all the symptoms Covid has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fever, at least none that I know of (we seem to have lost our thermometer) and a little shortness of breath when I have a cough is typical for me. I think I'll be negative, though.

      Delete
  5. Hoping that you and Gregg will be Ok and that you test negative. You may have seen that the first vaccines against Covid were given this morning to some elderly people in England ? Apparently the second one, according to the media!!, was to an old man called William Shakespeare..there have been many jokes about that on social media as you can imagine ! I consider myself a healthy 75 yr old, but I am in the 3rd wave of vaccine giving...not sure when that might be but I shall welcome it with open arms.....or maybe just the top of my left arm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Mr. Shakespeare on the news! How awesome is that?!

      I'm ready to roll up my sleeve, too.

      Delete
  6. My thoughts are with you, Jennifer, as you wait for the results. I pray that it is negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it will be. Thank you for the good wishes!

      Delete
  7. think positive about a NEGATIVE test! the fact that you can still taste and smell is a good sign. pet george, sit by the tree, relax, drink wine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will definitely have you both in my thoughts. As Tom Petty sang, 'the waiting is the hardest part.' Chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you should follow Anne Marie’s advice, she’s got it down and don’t forget drink wine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My oldest son had the virus, and the most obvious part was his coughing. It's been over 5 weeks since he caught it, and his cough is now almost gone. However, he's been able to work throughout; from home of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five weeks is an awfully long time to have a cough. I'm glad that his illness hasn't been any worse, though!

      Delete
  11. Oh no, I'm sorry to hear this! I'm keeping you in my thoughts. You must be worried about your husband with his health history too. Hopefully you can take advantage of some unexpected time off and enjoy your book. I hope you feel better and get negative results soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly, I worry more about my husband than myself.

      Delete
  12. Maybe by the time you'll read this you will already have your negative result - I certainly hope so!
    Our close family friend who is like a brother to me has recently been tested, too. Like you, he felt SOME possible symptoms but nothing like loss of taste etc., and the test came back negative. What a relief!
    This week Monday, I was required to work on-site at my biggest client's office. I'd not been there since early October and felt a little uneasy about it, but was very cautious (like everybody else in the building), wearing masks, opening windows and NOT visiting the canteen. Still, I want to keep my parents safe first and foremost, and have therefore decided not to see them as usual over lunch this week. Apart from a snivelly nose (which is normal for me, especially when I have been outside in the cold air), I have "nothing" and am not thinking about getting a test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been just over 24 hours, and no word yet. They said it would be 24-48 hours. I keep checking my email and will post here as soon as I know!

      I think the change in the weather here (we've had some very cold nights, temperatures below freezing and icy wind) might have contributed to my cough and other symptoms. I hope that's all it is!

      Delete
  13. Looking forward to the good news that you're clear of covid! Take care of yourself and hope you can find some pleasure in more time at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that weird "I should be at work" guilt that always plagues me when I call out sick. I'd rather be there!

      Delete
  14. Best of luck Jennifer and take the time out to read and rest. My son was tested and spent the week waiting for a result getting sh*tfaced ... he wanted to borrow my dog Selkie but I said I couldn't fit her in the letter box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's one way to pass the time while waiting for results!

      Delete
  15. Well, needless to say, I hope your test is negative. If you don't have a fever I think that's a very good sign. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I do have Covid, then so far I have one of those super mild cases with very few symptoms. I don't think I have it, though. We shall see.

      Delete
  16. I'm sending you strength and good wishes for a negative outcome. No good way to write that...wishing you negative. On the my world front Nik's dad seems to be improving, he's been in intensive care in a 3rd world country, given up for dead he has rallied. Don's dad passed away last week. He was positive. But he was also very old, 94. He also had pneumonia. This thing is real. I stay quarantined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This thing is indeed real! I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I hope the vaccines are readily available all over the world SOON.

      Delete
  17. Hoping you get a negative result. GS's 1st grade teacher is quarantining as of late last night because her children's day care provider was exposed to another child's parent who tested positive. Now she is teaching from home until results come back on the provider--but with her own three children quarantining with her. Bless her. Teachers need combat pay these days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you are keeping your spirits up - sounds like you are feeling better already. Will be watching your blog for good news (fingers crossed!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read these in reverse so I smile knowing you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete