Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Around the house

It's really good to be at home right now, at the beginning of June and the beginning of my summer vacation. When I sat down and tried to decide what to write about today, I kept thinking of things going on around the house. Here's a bullet list of random stuff on my radar at the moment.

  •  Poppy is growing fast and has assimilated into our household really well. I think she's about housebroken, too, as there hasn't been an accident inside in almost two weeks. (Knock wood). George is like a puppy again now that he's decided he likes her. They play hard all day, with frequent naps in between bouts of pretend-fighting.
  • Speaking of growing, my garden is getting big and lush! I've ended up with a total of 14 heirloom tomatoes, 14 peppers (sweet banana, cayenne, and jalapeno), 3 cucumbers, two snow pea vines, and I'm still getting carrots. The lettuce was wonderful but it's gone now.
  • I harvested my container of potato plants the other day. When I finally tipped it over, I wasn't expecting much. Imagine my surprise when 7 pounds of beautiful Yukon Gold potatoes rolled out! We ate a few the other night, steamed with butter and sea salt. Oh, were they delicious! I'll be planting a lot more potatoes next spring now that this year's experiment went so well.
  • We saw a snake last night. It was a small one, curled up in the street in front of our house, and we gave it a wide berth when we walked the dogs past it. It was gone when we returned from the walk, thank goodness. It looked like a young copperhead but we didn't get close enough to inspect it very well. It's definitely snake season around here and we're careful to keep George and Poppy away from bushes and piles of vegetation when we're out and about. I know snakes have their place in the ecosystem, and I respect that, but I don't want to see them!
  • There was also a big doe standing in our neighbor's yard last night when we walked past, and we see rabbits almost every night, too. 
  • Bluebirds are once again nesting in the box in the backyard. Yesterday the pair were so busy, flying back and forth with nesting materials. There should be eggs in there any day now.


Poppy figured out how to get up in the hammock, and she thinks it's a good place to nap.


Potato harvest!


Purple Dragon carrots.


So far, so good with the garden.


And finally, my zinnias are starting to bloom. They're so pretty and cheerful!

35 comments:

  1. Your garden looks beautiful. I love the picture of Poppy in the hammock. It is perfect! Happy summer vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! I love the way Poppy will crash and nap almost anywhere. She's a really cute little girl. :)

      Delete
  2. You have a better-looking garden going than I do! It's so lush! I don't know if it's the heat or the amount of water (too much? too little?) or what, but we're just not seeing what we'd like to see. I am in the process right now of pickling some green beans and we have some nice potatoes and I'm using my own garlic and onions but the cukes and peppers just aren't doing a darn thing and the field peas are coming on slow.
    Sigh. I've been gardening for over 45 years and I feel like I have no clue as to how to do it right.
    I am so glad to hear that Poppy is fitting in so well. It sounds like George has gotten a new lease on life, having her around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't for one minute believe my garden looks better than yours! And you have so many more kinds of vegetables! I'm envious, I really am.

      Delete
    2. I absolutely love that picture of her sleeping in the hammock. I know you are enjoying her!

      Delete
  3. It is interesting hearing how far along your garden is, when here in the Northwest (after a particularly cool spring) things are barely starting. How nice George and Poppy and getting along well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in zone 8b so of course we're way ahead of the Northwest. It's been really hot so far (but then, it always is, in June).

      Delete
  4. Dogs, unlike people, almost always get along after they give their butts a good sniff. Up here in Central PA, white tail deer are very destructive, eating just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sometimes see deer eating from bird feeders in this neighborhood.

      Delete
  5. Beagle? Harrier? Hamilton hound? All three? Poppy is such a pretty dog, so pleased that she fit in. Those carrots are paint worthy, astonishing color! Beautiful garden, you've got talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The vet says "hound mix" so maybe all three! She has the markings of a foxhound and long legs, but I can see other kinds of hound in her too. Maybe one day we'll do a DNA test and see.

      Delete
  6. I think I’m in love with Poppy. So great for George. We had two 12-year old cats, brothers and litter mates. One died and the other went into a major depression. We adopted a 7-month-old kitten and that old cat became a kitten himself again. What a joy that was. He lived 5 more years and they were inseparable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great story! We're hoping Poppy will help extend George's life. He's already MUCH more active and engaged now that she's here. I think it's going to be a real comfort to him, having a best friend again.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad that George and Poppy have decided to be friends. Sure saves a lot of frazzled nerves! I read about your garden and Ms. Moon's garden and how you're picking things already...so jealous! You are so far ahead of us. I have a question though. Can't you replant lettuce and keep it grown all summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first year growing lettuce, but I think it's far too hot for lettuce in South Carolina this time of year. I can probably grow more in the fall.

      Delete
  8. That's such an adorable photo of Poppy snoozing in the hammock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy I had my phone handy to get a picture!

      Delete
  9. Your garden is wonderful and the photos are fabulous.
    Poppy is really getting big and I love that George is happy ,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy is getting big! She weighed 24 pounds when we adopted her in April. I took her to the vet just now and she's weighing in at 34 pounds less than two months later!

      Delete
  10. That picture of Poppy has stolen the whole post. Who are we kidding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who can resist an adorable puppy?! Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Oh how I miss my veg garden. Poppy really is beautiful; it's good that the two get on so well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cro! I wish I could share some veggies with you this summer. You seem like a man that could appreciate good, homegrown, heirloom tomatoes.

      Delete
  12. Zinnias were among my grandma's favourite flowers, she had them in her garden, too.
    Your garden is definitely something to be proud of, as is your decision to adopt Poppy - I am not surprised she has become a fully integrated family member!
    Now I want spuds with butter and salt for my lunch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having mashed potatoes for dinner tonight, made from my very own spuds! I can't believe how easy growing them in a container turned out to be. Poppy is a real sweetie. We love her so much.

      Delete
  13. I'm not much of a vegetable gardener- flowers are more my thing. Even so, I put in a few more veggies than usual this year, (partially inspired by pictures of your veggies.) Poppy's easy transition into your home is going to have me scrolling through dog rescue sites again. When you first brought Poppy home I was a dog rescue site addict. We have a big aging dog whom we adore and I'd love for him to have a young friend to help him get more exercise. My fear is that Dukey might be completely incapable of sharing our attention with another dog. What seems like a good idea now might become a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were really afraid we'd never be able to have another dog after Ginger died, because George is VERY reactive towards other dogs. But this worked out really well, so maybe give it a try! I'd probably get a youngster of the opposite sex, and of course Dukey would need lots of extra attention and reassurance at first that he wasn't being replaced. After a couple of weeks of mostly ignoring Poppy, George came around and now he's very happy!

      Delete
  14. Wonderful photos of the garden! You have done a terrific job and it sure looks great. I love the sweet photo of Poppy on the hammock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen! I've worked hard on the garden this year.

      Delete
  15. Poppy is as cute as can be!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is a cutie. The other day she was chasing a butterfly...could anything be any cuter than that?! Thanks Janie.

      Delete
  16. Amazing potato harvest! They look so healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am mad-jealous about the vegetables.

    ReplyDelete