Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Solstice garden update

 Happy Solstice, everyone! There's been a short spell of fabulous weather here, with lower temperatures and much lower humidity that has everyone saying, "If only it could be this way all summer!" Today is the last day before another run of record-breaking heat begins, so we'd best enjoy it while we can.

I'm feeling 100% better. I had a follow up with the doctor yesterday morning and my lungs were clear. I have a new medication I'm trying for allergies/asthma while I wait for a call from the allergist to set up a consultation. Thanks to everyone for all the good wishes and kindness! Here's hoping I'm done with being sick for a good long time.

My garden is looking great! I've been out there working on it as much as possible. There's always something to do, and I've found that the key to success (besides the stuff that's just dumb luck, like weather conditions) is spending some time every single day seeing to it. Timely watering, pruning for air flow, tying up drooping vines, looking for the first signs of pests or disease to address any problems early--this kind of careful attention pays dividends. Of course, I still have a lot to learn about gardening, but that's one of the joys of it all. Being out there working in the dirt and sunshine is like meditation for me!

As you can see, we really need to weed around the raised bed and cut the grass. Look how tall the banana plants (on the left) are, though!


The cucumber plants are looking good so far.


We'll have peppers very soon.


Now if the tomatoes would just start to ripen!


Just before I snapped this last picture, I watched the dragonfly devour a tiny white moth-looking insect. Dragonflies are friendly little garden buddies--to humans, anyway.



14 comments:

  1. Glad that you're feeling better and can enjoy summer and your beautiful plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear your good update on your health. What terrific news! Yay, you, Jennifer!
    Your garden pictures are perfection. I am just back from picking in my garden and although I am getting lots of produce, only the beans and field peas are truly looking happy and healthy. And the basils! Florida is really a difficult place to grow summer gardens because of our unrelenting heat and bugs. And oh, do we need rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be relieved to be feeling better! Enjoy your wonderful garden! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're feeling better! That's a beautiful shot of the dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to know you’re feeling better. The garden is looking downright tropical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice garden! Are you under a heat warning yet? If not, I suspect you will be shortly. Stay cool. Stay hydrated. And keep watering the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are feeling better and hope you stay that way! Good job on the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love dragonflies and I am happy you are feeling well. Your garden looks lush and green. Do you plant cherry tomatoes? They ripen first so I plant some every year, I like Sungold variety. Stay cool, it is 80 in my living room at 7 p.m. here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That picture of the dragonfly is wonderful! And your whole garden is doing great; as you say, the regular work is paying off.
    Best of all is of course to know that you are feeling so much better! I hope it stays that way for you now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love dragonflies. We don't see them much in our garden but I do see them around ponds on Hampstead Heath. Glad you're feeling better! The banana trees look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you're feeling better. After a tough school year, it was a crime that you were wasting much needed vacation time feeling rotten. The veggies in your garden look fabulous. We are much further behind the vegetable harvest here in Ontario, (or at least I am.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a happy, optimistic post this is, everything is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am soooo glad that you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely garden! I am mad-jealous! I too am glad to read your are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete