Wednesday, June 1, 2022

First of June garden update.

It's the last day of school! Well, for the students, anyway. The staff still have to be here tomorrow, but then we're done, too. I'm very excited. Currently I'm sitting at my desk with a lot of free time on my hands so I decided to post a quick garden update from this past weekend. 

Last year my tomatoes got so tall the stakes I had just didn't cut it, so this year we decided to construct a trellis for them out of scrap wood we salvaged from the old fence we tore down. For the cost of two lengths of clothesline (less than $10) this is what we got.



It's over 6 feet tall so it should be high enough to support the vines even if they do keep growing and growing like last year!

I picked the last of the lettuce yesterday and planted cucumbers in their place. My peppers are getting bigger, and I found my first snow pea pods!


The bee balm and zinnias are starting to bloom. 



The bees seem to love them both. That should help with pollination in the rest of my garden.

June is such a great time of year!

20 comments:

  1. Your garden looks so green and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that trellis...looks like it should be tall and strong enough..cool..now that we have a new manager I can have flowers and plants again. started out with a rosemary plant. Need to get some more herbs..the gg's and I planted some glads and sunflowers..can't wait..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glads and sunflowers are among my favorite flowers! That sounds beautiful. I love rosemary and do a lot of cooking with it.

      Delete
  3. Yay to one more day! The garden looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a half day only. I imagine it will.

      Delete
  4. That trellis looks like it will make for easy picking! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see. I planted the tomatoes in twos...and there are a dozen plants total. Thank you for the compliment!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's been really, really hot and humid here. 98F (36.6C) is too hot for the end of May, even in South Carolina! Thanks for stopping by, Weaver!

      Delete
  6. It feels like only yesterday you wrote about the end of the school year being two weeks away - and now it‘s here, and not a minute too soon! It does seem very early, actually; I have never heard of a school year ending in June in this country.
    You have a super summer ahead - look at those beautiful flowers, and lovely veg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was the students' last day, and they'll return on August 1. The staff will return a week earlier than that.

      Delete
  7. I think your tomato trellis will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it looks a little weird, but it was mostly FREE! And it should do the job!

      Delete
  8. Your garden looks great! It will be so lush and productive for you! Happy Summer vacation! You certainly deserve a break!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great support for your tomatoes. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden looks beautiful and that tomato trellis should do the trick. Congratulations on your last day of school! Now you get to enjoy the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a fantastic support for your tomatoes! And snow peas, too! Here, school goes to the end of June and is back at the beginning of September. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything's looking great! I'm especially impressed with your tomato trellis. Good thinking on re-using the fence lumber.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous For Sure And Well Done On The Trellis Action There - Enjoy The Rest Of June

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete