Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Cold and dark

It's cold here on the East Coast this week.

Last night the temperature dropped to 27 degrees (-2.7 for all you Celsius folk out there) after a day of rain and high winds. The wind chill was in the teens when I woke up this morning. Today the high was only about 10 degrees above freezing, and tonight is going to be just as frigid as last night. This kind of cold is highly unusual this early in the year.

I don't mind the cold; in fact, I kind of like it. I run on the warmer side naturally anyway, and with plenty of extra weight padding my body, too, freezing weather just isn't that big of a deal. I lit the fireplace this morning for the first time this year, reviving last winter's habit of drinking my morning coffee by the fire. That was kind of nice. I just hope the weather is this cold the week before Christmas, when I'm hosting my book club's holiday meeting/party. I'd like to be able to turn on the fireplace for picturesque effect, and serve pretty mulled wine to drink.

Last year's mulled wine.

What I'm not liking right now are these short days. I can't wait to pass the solstice so that the days will slowly start to lengthen again. This is the part of winter I dread each year.

Speaking of dark, I'm reading The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. The first 50 pages or so are very disturbing, but I couldn't put it down. I'm about a quarter of the way through now and it's fascinating, but still very dark.

What's the weather like where you are?  Are you reading anything good to pass the time on these long, dark, cold nights?

11 comments:

  1. Ah, the weather here is very similar. I am not complaining. I can't say I've read anything mind-blowing recently but of course always have a book going, great or not. Does it ever seem to you that some books start out so amazingly that you think, "Well. Yes. This is IT!" and then it goes downhill from there as if the author used up all of his or her greatness in the first chapter?
    Enjoy the weather. I hope it holds for your book club's holiday party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of snow on the ground. Like you, I look forward to the solstice, and the extra minute of light every day. Sadly, winter no longer is over in March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No sub-zero C temperatures here yet, but very damp and miserable. Our worst usually comes in Jan/Feb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's turned cold here last week, too, and I guess that this year, we'll see snow rather sooner than later. For me, I'd happily wait until Christmas, as snow in the city is never much fun except for those first few hours while it is still white.
    If it weren't for our beautiful Christmas Market going on all the four Advent weeks, and several other pleasant activities like hosting our traditional Secret Santa for my girl friends, I would really be struggling with winter. The cold is not my friend, and I can hardly find enough layers of warm clothing to fight it. The early nights also mean I hardly get so see daylight on a normal working day.
    Right now I am reading a biography about Leonardo Da Vinci. Very well written and truly fascinating picture of the man and the time he lived in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Currently 64 degrees and partly sunny here. Locals are wearing winter clothes. Visitors are in shorts. Oh that mulled wine. Have you ever had Swedish glogg? So gdood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yesterday was 23F, today more of the same. cmon 12-21! YAYZ for longer dayz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That mulled wine looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bitcoin transaction errors in Blockchain

    Are you regularly facing errors owing to transactions in Blockchain? Are you being troubled by the fact that your transactions are not going on in a smooth manner? Such an issue can be very irritating. If you want your experience to be smooth and hassle free service then get in touch with Blockchain customer service executive team. Dial Blockchain support number and be benefited by the help of highly skilled executives at Blockchain. The team is determined to make your experience better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arizona doesn't change clocks but it still gets dark to early here too
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was nice today, I mulched leaves and made a boat load of spring rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrew Davidson was Hull City's longest serving player. I didn't realise that he wrote scary books too! See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Davidson_(footballer)

    ReplyDelete