Tuesday, December 19, 2023

The C word (both of them)

After three years of testing myself every time I so much as got a sniffle, I was shocked when that second line popped up on the Covid test Friday afternoon. I almost hadn’t bothered taking a test at all, I was so sure it would be negative. I guess I'd gotten the stupid idea that I was immune after avoiding it all this time. I'd even put off getting the latest booster, which in hindsight was a real mistake. 



Puppies hanging out with me in the quarantine room.

I've been incredibly lucky; I've had colds worse than this. Mostly I ran a low-grade fever for a couple of days and felt kind of tired, along with a mild headache that came and went. There have been pretty much no respiratory symptoms, and today I feel mostly back to normal. 

But......last night Gregg started to shiver, and I took his temperature, and sure enough, he had a fever. Damn it! We tried to stay apart and be careful, but chances are I was contagious before my symptoms started. So far this morning he feels okay, and after taking a couple of Tylenol his temperature is normal. To be safe, he's headed to the doctor to confirm whether or not he's positive (we don't have any more home tests) and to get an antiviral if he is. Hopefully his symptoms will be as mild as mine, but we're not taking any chances. 

As grateful as I am that we're not any sicker, I'm sad that Christmas is pretty much going to be canceled. I missed the work Christmas party, as you know.  Then we had to cancel a planned visit from family on Sunday. My sister-in-law, Karen, was planning to come for the day along with our nephew Tyler and his wife Jessica. This was the second time we've had to cancel on them due to illness. Gregg was sick with some random virus over Thanksgiving when they first planned to come. 

Tomorrow I'll also have to miss my book club Christmas party. I had recommended the book we read this month, so I hate that I can't go. (I also missed book club last month when Gregg had the stomach virus thing). Then this coming Saturday Martina had planned to come over for our annual holiday book exchange--obviously that's not going to happen now either. And until Gregg and I both test negative, I can't go see my parents, because my dad's health is so poor that Covid would be very dangerous for him. 

I'd planned to spend a couple of days baking cookies and treats this week, but since we can't do anything or see anyone, and since we're not feeling great, I'm not going to bother. Hopefully I'll be able to mask up and go grocery shopping in another day or two, at least, because all we have to eat here at the moment are cans of soup, Saltine crackers, ginger ale, and Gatorade, all purchased hastily by Gregg over the weekend to keep us going while I was sick. Our empty fridge and pantry don't look very festive, that's for sure. 

I guess there's always next year.

Hey ho. 



16 comments:

  1. It's similar stories all over the place right now. O.K.'s sister and her husband have both caught Covid (in spite of having had their boosters), my Mum's ex-colleague has it - and she spent hours sitting next to my Mum at an event recently, before she knew she was infected; collagues and/or their children have it, fellow band members of O.K.'s village band could not play their annual concert last Saturday, and so on and so forth.
    So far, neither my Mum, my sister or I nor O.K. have caught it (again), and we hope very much that it stays that way.
    That you had to cancel all your plans to see friends and family and your participation in work and book club meetings is so disappointing, but at least, as you say, your symptoms aren't too bad.

    Whatever you'll be eating, I still hope you and Gregg can have a joyful, if quiet, Christmas!
    Hugs to you (virus-free ones, for sure!) from your friend
    Meike
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I know, I've never had it. You do know that you only need to quarantine for 5 days, and that's if you choose not to wear a mask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOTH “c” words, huh? Covid and Crap! As for Thomas, he's sadly right. I think you should have your Christmas book club in January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cancelling all those plans sucks but yes, better safe than sorry. I hope you both feel much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Covid has a way of dashing any and all plans. Damn! At least you have no respiratory symptoms and no need for hospitalization. Thank goodness for that. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too can say I have not had the Covid yet....but can you blame the virus for not invading my body, what with my gin intake. Come think of it, I have not been sick or had a worthwhile cold since I called out sick last time. That must have been 2016. Good stock I suppose or is it the gin????

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had Covid, either. So sorry you succumbed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happened to us in November- we’d dodged it thus far and then all three living in the house got it. People who have had their shots get it too. So sucky that you have to miss out on the fun get together s you had planned! Take care! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you haven't been too sick with it and hope Gregg isn't either

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't despair too soon, when my grandsons suffered recently, it hardly affected them at all, and they continued to live normally. Don't give-up on Christmas quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I lived next door I would bring you round a pot of beef stew with dumplings, lentils, carrots, swede and potatoes. And I would stand outside singing "God rest ye merry gentlemen!" until you yelled "Get outta here!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got Covid too. This is my second time. I am hoping to be uncontagious (or however you spell it) by Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry for you guys, it seems the punches keep coming. Ugh. I suppose we can bright-side it, and sometimes it's healthy to try and find the bright side. Yet, sometimes we just need to grouse and sulk. Hubs and I just went through two, almost three weeks of hell, he had Covid and I had whatever weird-ass respiratory thing that's going around. And yes, I grumped and moped about it, for a few days because we had so much shit to do! Then I just gave in and thought, ok, no pulls on my time other than us getting through this. Fine. He was happy to be home, resting and decorating, I was happy to be home and cooking when I had the energy. Here's to hoping you both get through this quickly, and can find some "happy" while you're forced home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This could possibly be one of the Christmases you remember most. Not just because of all the disappointment (of which I know there is plenty) but also because it is just the two of you, home with no societal obligations which have been wiped out, erased, completely made moot with the virus.
    But you do need food! Could you get a grocery delivery? Of course I am worried about this, being Ms. Food is Love, Ms. Food is Life.
    I hope you are both well on your way to recovery by Christmas day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad that your case is a mild one. So sorry that you have had to cancel all of your holiday plans. Hopefully Gregg will not have Covid, but it sounds like he may have it. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You and Gregg will have the opportunity to craft your own holiday. It will be different, to be sure, but there can be egg nog, cookies, holiday treats in a cozy room illuminated by only the tree lights and the favorite holiday classic on the tv. You can snuggle and know that overall, 2023 has been good to you. New jobs, new puppy. The ending surely sucked eggs, but 2024 is right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete